This week, I took some time off the blog to immerse myself in God’s beautiful creation in San Diego! I’ll be writing more about my experience soon, but one moment that stood out to me was a seminar lead by Greg Stier of Dare 2 Share.
He was asked how he maintains such an excitement for the gospel, enabling him to share it passionately with others? His response was “I live my life as 1/2 Monk, 1/2 Missionary.” He emphasized that he cannot share the gospel without spending significant amount of time marinating his own life in it through prayer, meditation, and studying Scripture.
- Get up earlier to pray and spend time with God.
- Turn off the tv and meditate on the Psalms.
- Read through the book of Mark and journal every piece of the gospel that impacts you, and how you are grateful for each facet of this gift.
- Silence your phone for 1/2 hour and pray. Need ideas on focusing in prayer? Look here.
- Get outside (the weather is unseasonably fantastic in Wyoming right now!) and allow God’s creation to stir up your affections for your creator.
- Fast. Don’t think about it, or pray about it… just do it. However, I recommend you fast in a practical way, with God’s help. Skip 1 meal a day and use that time to pray for the lost one’s you know. Or fast one entire day, using hunger pangs and cravings as a reminder to be hungry for God’s will.
- Repent. I love the imagery of drawing a circle on the floor, kneeling down inside that circle, then praying desperately for revival… inside the circle. When you experience revival, you have a chance to spread the joy of that freedom.
Chances are, if we immerse ourselves in the reminder of how great a salvation it is we have received, we will be better equipped emotionally, conversationally, and spiritually to share that joy, excitement, and grateful heart with others.